I get a lot of friends asking me what my favorite oils are… or what oils I recommend newbies start out with. It wasn’t to long ago I was that newbie and at times I still feel very much like a newbie….
I’m a fast learner though and have gotten the hang of using them fast and so enjoy it! It has changed how I treat ailments, cuts, bruises, rashes, sickness, cramps and so much more. Could not be happier with my oils and think anyone who digs into them will be hooked. It in the long haul is so much cheaper than co pay after co pay at a doctors visit… or prescription after prescription being filled. While some times there is a need for those things, more often than not, you can treat it at home with Essential Oils.
So lets get started :)
– Lavender ~ I use this A TON. It is probably one of my favorite oils… although I will admit, prior to essential oils, I wasn’t super keen on the smell of lavender. Weird I know. Most women love it :) – Im more of a citrus fan though and so the smell of lavender or any scent that was floral, made me think of grandmothers shirts. Not a bad thing haha, just wasn’t me. However, this lavender is just amazing and I cannot get enough of the smell.
So what is Lavender good for? Oh man, so much!! Here are a few things….
• Is often used as a cosmetic water and to scent linen.
• Non-toxic, non-irritating and non-sensitizing. Is great for all skin types.
• Will help you treat insect bites and stings, as well as lice and ringworm.
• Good for washing minor cuts and grazes.
• Can use for mouth abscess and cankers.
• Reduces stress and tension. Is calming in small amounts.
• Balances mood swings. Is mood uplifting.
• Purifying to the body and works as a disinfectant.
• Boosts your immunity and helps you lesson allergies, asthma, tonsillitis, colic, and flu.
I love to diffuse Lavender with Lemon too. Such a great scene combination.
– Peppermint~ I am not a fan of the smell of any peppermint. Yes im strange. My kids though love it :) – me, not so much. However, peppermint has great uses and because of that, I can ignore the smell. The smell btw is not bad, its just not my favorite. Good thing you cant base an oils use off of their smells ;-) – in fact I find some of the less pleasant smelling ones have the best uses…
Some uses for Peppermint…
• Can help cure headaches and migraines.
• Helps treat heartburn, indigestion, nausea.
• Key oil for treating vertigo.
• Also helps with motion sickness.
• Can help treat liver problems.
I will say I use peppermint to treat my head aches and the kids occasional head aches OFTEN. As silly as it sounds to rub peppermint on your temples and back of your neck when a head ache strikes, it in the end always helps. If you have severe migraines though, check out RMOS Migraine Relief Oil.
– Melaleuca ~ Otherwise known as Tea Tree Oil. RMO sells two different types of Tea Tree Oil btw… I actually found out the difference for you all…. Thanks to Alex Curtis (one of my RMO contacts who answers all my crazy questions)
“”” Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia): Known as the “miracle oil” it is able to fight or kill bacteria, fungi and viruses.
Melaleuca (Meleleuca quinquinervera) also known as Niaouli, and Tea Tree are very similar. Their properties are very much the same. Melaleuca is more mild and more universal, which makes it better for every day use, and for use on children.
For preventing fungi and bacteria, Melaleuca is best. For killing off fungi or bacteria, Tea Tree is better. “””
Because I have young children, I went with Melaleuca… Either one would be great and if you can afford both, get both :)
Here are some uses for Melaleuca…
• Great for boosting the immune system, increasing white blood cells, immuoglobulins and antibody activity.
• Helps reduce swollen glands and has been known to act as an adrenal stimulant.
• Can treat Viral Heptitis, reinvigorate a sluggish liver
• Great for the digestion system and to treat ulcers or intestinal parasites.
• Great oil for acne, boils or insect bites.
• Great for sanitizing
– Clary Sage ~ My go to oil for period cramps! I have horrible period cramps, almost crippling… so I lather this oil on so much. I also have RMO’s Feminine Aid and use that as well. Both oils are great. Feminine Aid has more in it, so if you want something with a bit more punch, you may like that one best. I like having both tho, since Clary Sage does have lots of benefits besides warding of the Period Demons.
So what benefits does Clary Sage have?….
• Well, its a GREAT Antidepressant Oil! Great to use when dealing with strong emotions. (fear, stress, anxiety)
• Can help overcome exhaustion and help with sleep.
• Use this during the later part of pregnancy (never the early stages) to help stimulate contractions.
• Its great for a sore throat or bronchitis.
• Can help sooth asthma attacks.
• and of course, amazing for cramps.
– Immune Strength ~ I use this constantly on my children. Perfect for warding of the germie bugs…. and I also put some into my home made hand sanitizer. I put this in roller bottles so that my children can apply it easily to their feet before going to church or any really public setting. We have not been as sick since this oil entered our world. For that I am very thankful!
So what all can it be used for?
• Helps support tons of functions int he body. Adrenal. Nervous. Circulatory. Respiratory. Digestive and even the Lymphatic System.
• Helps protect against viruses, bacteria, fungi, parasites and other microbes.
With fall upon us, stock up on this now to get you through the colder months. Its such an amazing oil.
– Sports Pro ~ If you work out AT ALL or have a husband. Buy this oil :) Such a good one for sore muscles. My kids also use this a lot if they ride their bike to much or pull something while being a crazy wild child in a tree.
So in short… this oil…
• Helps to relax… calm and relieve tension from spastic muscles or sport fatigue/stress.
• Great anti-inflammatory and can asst with broken bones, sprains, muscle or joint discomfort.
*we had fun making an oil tower. VERY CAREFULLY hah…*
– Bug Off ~ If you have children who play outside… or you yourself enjoy the great outdoors. Buy this oil. I just love its smell but more importantly I love it keeps bugs away. It is even great for keeping ants away!!
You can read up on how to make your own bug spray using this oil HERE.
– Tranquility ~ My go to calming oil. I use this at night behind my ears, in a diffuser or on the back of my neck. I love it for calming me at night as do my kids.
• Great for depression and easing anxiety.
• Helps with stress and tension.
• Balances and stabilizes the emotions. Calms worries.
• Helps with hyperactivity in children.
• Great to diffuse in classrooms to help children focus.
– Lemon ~ Everyone likes lemon. That is probably one of the most popular oils. That and lavender. I love lemon and it truly has so many uses. It also is probably the cheapest of all essential oils.
Here are some uses….
• #1 oil for treating gout.
• Helps with digestion
• Throat problems, colds, bronchitis.
• Can help with circulation issues, nose bleeds, varicose veins.
• Is a good oil for treating cellulitis and obesity.
• Great for treating nervous conditions.
• It is a great air disinfectant.
• Due to its drying nature, Lemon is good for treating acne.
• Very similar properties to Lime and can be used interchangeably.
(I also have lime, its similar. I love having both! One of my favorite oils to blend is lemon/lime and some orange. SO awesome!)
- Sacred Frankincense~ One of the oils of the bible. There is a reason Frankincense was given to baby Jesus. This stuff is awesome! I will not lie. IT IS NOT CHEAP. It is very expensive but one of those oils you will love and enjoy for a long time. Also if you order Frankincense through other companies you will pay more. RMO def. has the best price on this oil that I have seen and the quality is the best.
• Incredible Immune Builder. Can be used to treat lymph congestion, which helps your immune system run smoothly.
• Can help treat asthma, bronchitis, larangitis, colds and flu.
• Amazing for the skin! Great for ulcers, blemishes or scars.
• Can smooth out wrinkles or be used as a tonic to all skin.
• Balances the skins oil. So if you have oily skin problems or dry skin problems, use this!
• Amazing for dealing with cancer. Helps to support your treatment as your immune system is fighting.
• Great for reproductive and urinary difficulties.
• Great for use during childboth, to ease labor pains and decrease PPD.
• Great for treating nightmares and helping to fortify the mind.
• Can be used to help dogs fighting cancer.
• Can be used to treat leprosy (did you know this still exist!?)
It is such a great oil. The smell too is different yet kind of addicting.
– Gentle Healer ~ My favorite and go to oil for burns and boo boos. I use this stuff constantly. Any time my kids get hurt, this is what gets applied. I burned my arm the other day and used some gentle healer on it, within just a few hours the burn looked dramatically better.
Here is an image of it to the right. Forgive the color difference in them. One of them I took during the day, so it was brighter and warmer. The other one was taken inside, so its colder. Same arm tho ;-) – promise. This oil took the sting away right away as well.
Why is it so expensive? and what can it do?
The Essential Oil in this, is called Helichrysum italicum. It is one of the hardest to grow and one of the most powerful available. They say the cost of this oil will DOUBLE over the next 5 years. Its that saught after and amazing. Helichrysum (heel-i-chhh-sum) by itself cost around $170 a bottle. SO expensive. It is actually the owner of the RMO Company, Paul Dean’s Favorite Oil. He has a testimony on his youtube where he used it on his sons finger (after his son put a cut so deep it needed around 10 stitches). Instead of stitches he used this oil. Within like a day, it completely healed the cut and kept his finger together. Its amazing at skin regeneration.
• Great for repairing and regenerating new tissue.
• Helpful for treating old or new scars.
• Can help stimulate new cells and repair connective tissue, particularly nerve endings.
• Amazing pain reliever.
• Great at fighting infection.
• Reduces inflammation.
For those curious what Floraha is in this blend. I found out for you [ Thanks Alex ] :) – “”” Floraha is an absolute, not technically an essential oil, but almost. It has to do with how it’s extracted. People often debate whether to call it an essential oil or an absolute. But this oil has healing properties in an of itself. “”” – having both these oils in one is awesome together and while you may not be getting 100% Helichrysum Italicum in this blend, part of it is Floraha. Together they make an amazing team and if you are like me and on a budget. Invest in Gentle Healer and enjoy the benefits of Helichrysum with a better price tag.
– Breathe Ease ~ Last I checked this was out of stock! :( Probably because of all the respiratory junk going around right now. So keep an eye on their site for when it restocks. When it does, BUY IT. This is such an amazing oil to have for anything respiratory related.
Here is a look at the uses…
• Stimulates the regeneration of lung tissue. Helps to strengthen the lungs.
• Great for treating bronchitis, pneumonia, flus and colds. Esp. those with coughs or sore throats.
• Can help sooth fevers and sinusitis.
• Works great to expel mucus and reduce inflammation.
• Great for anything viral, bacterial or fungal.
• Stimulant to the thymus and a great immune booster.
If you have young kids who battle croup or anything related to breathing… get this oil. Any time my kids get a stuffy nose or throat related cold, I diffuse this constantly.
– Oregano ~ Considered a HOT OIL. So dont put this straight onto the skin. I did that once, learned my lesson :) Now, I do not have warts but from what I have been told, this is the best oil for removing warts! While we do not have warts going on in this family, we do have used this oil to treat Athelets feet and it was amazing! You can view that post HERE and download my Athletes foot Salve recipe as well.
So what else can it do? besides heal warts?
• It has helped some treat migraines.
• It can help relieve facial tics.
• Rebels insects. I think it kill them too if you sprayed it haha. Its so strong!
• It can help treat infected cuts and wounds.
• Oregano helps treat edema and cellulite.
• Can help relieve gas. excuse me. Flatulence :)
This oil btw is also known as ” Wild Marjoram “
– Tummy Rub ~ Ever deal with a kid throwing up?? or upset stomachs? Get this oil if so. This oil is so good for treating digestive or intestinal issues.
Any time my kids complain of a tummy ache, this gets used. If my kid is fighting a stomach flu, this is used.
SO lets see what else it can do….
• Great for treating gas, bloating or colic!
• It can help you treat jet lag.
• It has help some people neutralize nervous tension, anxiety, and stress.
• Great for nausea or motion sickness, morning sickness…
• Has been used by many to treat Crohn’s Disease.
• Great with relieving intestinal discomfort aka diarrhea.
– Cypress ~ I spoke about this oil briefly this week already. My 7 year old uses this oil every night to help him not wet his bed. I love this oil and the smell. Although the smell from the bottle smells weird, when applied it smells woodsy and great. Total boy oil ;-) although has lots of other uses besides helping with bed wetting.
It also is great for….
• Whooping Cough, asthma and other respiratory issues.
• Helps regulate the female reproductive system. (I use this with clary sage some times)
• It is great for men’s skin-care regimen. It helps tone skin.
• Great benefits for urinary system. (hence using it for bed wetting issues)
• Helps when treating varicose veins.
Here are some other great ways it can be used….
• Amazing to treat ADD or ADHD.
• Great for relaxing or calming emotions.
• Helps to fortify the mind.
• Great for the central nervous system.
• As well as clearing your lymphatic system, which helps rid your body of waste and toxins.
I will say, I am not super fond of the smell. Its a tolerable smell haha and when I smell it, it makes me think of school. However, as far as “nice smelling oils” its not high on my list. Then again like I have said above, not all of the good and most amazing oils, smell good.
Okay. So I think that is it as far as favorites go so far. I think starting out with those is a great start! However if you want to choose just a few. Start with “Peppermint, Melaleuca or Tea Tree, Lemon, Lavender and Immune Strength.” Those to me are key!
I look forward to adding to my collection of oils. I love what I have but def. would not mind a few more :)
A few other things I think everyone needs when starting with Essential Oils…
1. A GOOD diffuser. Although if you want a cheaper one, this is one we use for Caleb in his room. Great for kids, just not as nice as the RMO Diffuser, which I LOVE!! I have both the small and big. Both are amazing.
2. A case to store your oils in. I got my storage case at Goodwill for $1.00 (photos in this post show it)! It may not have a cute little foam divider in it, but it works for me. There are lots of storage cases on ebay or other essential oil tool websites. So look around and have fun finding a place to keep all your supplies. I will say, finding a case that is DARK is important. While the bottles RMO oils come in are already dark, its important to store them in a dark place as well.
3. A travel case to store your oils on the go. This is a post I did on the one I use. I LOVE IT!
4. Roller Bottles - I LOVE Rocky Mountain Oil ones. They cost a bit more than most I have seen though… but out of all the roller bottles I have (I have 3 different kinds) – they by far win the prize for my favorite.
6. An Essential Oil Book - I turn to the RMO Copal book A TON. Although with the internet as free and open as it is, you could easily find out what oils are best used for what ailments on the web. However, I like having a book handy that can work with or without the internet handy.
I think that is about it. :) Not sure if this post was helpful. I get a lot of questions from people randomly throughout the week about oils… so I figured I would write this up in hopes of answering some of those questions or directing people to this in the future.
I am no expert on oils…. I am learning right along with everyone else :)
One thing I do know though is that I love Rocky Mountain Oil Prices. I love that I can buy when I buy, without a certain quota. I love that their shipping is inexpensive and completely reasonable. I love that their company is built off integrity and providing completely pure and amazing oils… with no synthetics. I also really love how helpful the company is, ANY TIME I have a question.
Hope yall get to enjoy and experience the world of oils some day too :) – totally understand its a budgeting type of thing. It is not cheap to start… but once you get a good stash going, keeping up with and re-orders is not nearly as painful ;-)
*To those curious why some of my bottles have different labels. You can read up as to why HERE.*
*All the information regarding oils, I got from the Rocky Mountain Oil website. They are a great source of knowledge. Go look around :)*