I have been wanting to make some homemade chapstick for A VERY long time now. I am not a big lip stick gal and so my only real way of giving my lips some luster, is through a good lip balm. On occasion I will use a tinted lip gloss… but I would say 85% of the time, its lip balm all the way.
So with all the ingredients for making homemade lip balm on hand, I figured, why not make a bunch this year for not only myself, my kids but also to give as little gifts to neighbors/friends. After all, everyone loves a good lip balm in the fall/winter months.
I am sure many do not realize what is in most chapsticks… Lets take one of the most POPULAR brands around… one that I am sure all of us reading have used at one time or another… and look a bit closer….
Here is a list of ingredients in that “cherry” chapstick tube:
Arachidyl propionate, camphor, carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, D&C red no. 6 barium lake, fragrance, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, light mineral oil, menthol, methylparaben, octyldodecanol, paraffin, phenyl trimethicone, propylparaben, saccharin, white wax
I don’t think many really stop to think about what they are putting onto their children’s lips… and I think to live in a state of bondage over what is in everything is no way to live. However, educating ourselves and being aware of these things, is good to know. So lets take a little look at some of these ingredients… - This is a type of wax that comes from the Camphor tree. According to THIS SOURCE if a child were to ingest small amounts of this, it could be fatal. “It produces gastrointestinal and central nervous system irritation after toxic ingestion. Nausea and vomiting followed by agitation and seizures are common.” I have NO IDEA why the makes of this would include this ingredient in their product, if they knew this. Makes no sense to me.
- This is a type of wax that comes from the Camphor tree. According to THIS SOURCE if a child were to ingest small amounts of this, it could be fatal. “It produces gastrointestinal and central nervous system irritation after toxic ingestion. Nausea and vomiting followed by agitation and seizures are common.” I have NO IDEA why the makes of this would include this ingredient in their product, if they knew this. Makes no sense to me.
Fragrance - Also, the cherry fragrance you smell… taste. Yea. Synthetic and far from natural…. NAS reports that “95% of the ingredients used to create fragrances today are synthetic compounds derived from petroleum, including benzene derivatives, aldehydes, and many other known toxins and sensitizers.”
Isopropyl Myristate - actually dries the skin and can cause irritation. It even encourages bacterial growth.
Saccharin – This is an artificial sweetener to create flavoring…. IMO any type of artificial sweetener that is man made is bad news….
Light Mineral Oil - You wouldn’t think anything with the name “mineral” would be bad… but light mineral oil has actually been linked to cancer. It also has an enviromental impact… using products sourced from crude oil and non-renewable resources.
Need I go on? I haven’t even touched on Methylparaben, octyldodecanol, paraffin and so forth.
SO! Lets take a look at this recipe. I promise its easy :)
If you do not already make your own lotions/body butters/salves/etc…etc… then the cost of making homemade chapstick will probably seem expensive. However, I had all these ingredients on hand because I make all the above :) – and so the only cost I had to factor in was the cost of the lipbalm tubes. I found mine on amazon. SUPER CHEAP! The listing I am linking to is for 50 tubes. If you do not need 50… check around a bit, I saw some listings for much less.
So lets get started….
- 1 Tablespoon Beeswax Pellets
- 2 Tablespoons Shea Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil
- 15 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- (spearmint EO would be a good option too)
- First thing you will want to do is get a double boiler heating. I do not own a double boiler so what I do is get a medium sized pot with about 2 inches of water. I then get a smaller pot and just place that pot on top of the larger pot. Set heat to medium.
- Then place all the ingredients into the smaller pot (except the Peppermint Oil - you add this last). Allow those times to melt and blend together.
- Once beeswax/shea/coconut oil all melt together, remove from heat and then add in your Essential Oils. Blend it together using a spoon... and once blended, you are ready to pour the mixture into your chapstick tubes.
- Be sure to prep your tubes before taking your pot off the heat (in other have the lids off and ready)... it doesn't take long for this liquid to solidify... so you want to be prepared to start pouring stuff right away.
- I used a glass dropped that came with one of my essential oil bottles... and used that to pour my liquid into the chapstick tubes. I read on someones website though that you could use a turkey baster too :) - this to me gave me better control. Fill the tube up almost all the way. Cap it, then allow it to cool in the refrigerator until solid.
- Apply to lips once solid and enjoy! Smells so good!!
—- The Peppermint Oil I used in my recipe btw comes from Rocky Mountain Oils AKA NAN Oils. I buy all my Essential Oils from them! Feel free to use the coupon “15loveoils” at check out to save 15% off your first order. Be sure to use it wisely ;-) It is only good for that 1st order.
Enjoyed this recipe? Do Pin it ;-) Thanks and hope you all enjoy.