I know there are LOTS of post out there about cloth diapering… many of my readers have asked if I plan to use cloth diapers again this time around… and while I was debating it a few months ago… I have decided to use them.
With Taite I used them from age 4mo. – potty training age (for him around 22mo-24mo.). I used almost exclusively Bum Genius Diapers. I found “seconds” on sale at Cotton Babies and jumped on it. By “seconds” I mean they were reduced in price due to small sewing flaws. I believe the cost per diaper was $11.
I probably invested about $175.00 on his stash. I was able to get a few diapers free via SIMPLE… or gifts… but most I did buy myself.
For this baby I invested in a few more diapers…
I will list those and what I used with Taite below.
With this next baby I do plan to use DISPOSABLE diapers the 1st few weeks-months. I was given disposables as gifts and want to use them… but also the 1st few months is HARD. You are adjusting to a lot… and for me the last thing I want to worry with is cleaning poop and pee off cloth. Newborns go so often… that it just seems like a lot to take on during that time.
Once I am able to get on a schedule… get adjusted… then ill begin using cloth again.
I will still however use disposables for night time and travel. In my experience that just works best for us.
Heres a list of what I have for this baby…
– Around 15 Bum Genius 3.0 Diapers – Im guess the number I have of these… cause honestly I havent counted… but its enough cloth to last about a day 1/2.
I do have a few assorted brands… such as:
– Some Baby Love Diapers by Kidalog – I used these for home use only… they were inexpensive but did not hold in wetness as good as the Bum Genius.
– Weeones.biz Bamboo Fitted – Love her diapers… made by a great lady who offers great products. If I had money to buy my stash over I would buy A LOT from her. Her covers for potty training are great!
– Hautes Pockets – Similar to Bum Genius. I like that they offer it in a SNAP version.
– Dream Eze Fitted – These are ok.. they are all together and easy to use… also VERY TRIM.. so if you dont like bulk these are great.. but they did not work well for really messy diapers…
New Purchases…. (for new baby)
– 6 unbleached Indian Pre-Folds – Cottonbabies.com has these for $1.00 a piece!!! I just got my order in yesterday and they are fantastic. I figured for $1 each that it be worth buying… if I didnt end up using them for cloth diapering I could use them for burp clothes. I purchased the newborn size… I intend on using these just during the newborn stage for now.
– Snappi – With prefolds its nice to have a snappi. Its like the new version of the diaper pin :)
– Bamboo Deluxe Fitted Diaper by Bum Genius – I ordered 3 of these and wish I had gotten more. THEY ARE SO NICE! These diapers are however discontinued… so you may have trouble finding them. Cottonbabies.com has them in the size small right now for a steal! I may actually buy a few more they are so cheap for fitteds. With fitted diapers like the prefolds you do need diaper covers…
– Flip: One-Size Diaper Cover – This is a new product put out by cottonbabies.com. They actually have it so you can use it with DISPOSABLE inserts. I got it though because it got some good reviews as a normal Diaper Cover. It will be one of the covers I use with the pre-folds and fitted bamboo diapers.
– Thirsties Duo Wrap Cover (Small) – This is another diaper cover I intend on using with the newborn stage. Its made great!
– Thirsties Duo Wrap DIAPER – This is different than the Duo Wrap Cover. This is similar to the Bum Genius 3.0 diapers. I got two of these to review and look forward to posting my review on them for SIMPLE. I also get to giveaway a set on SIMPLE :-) so be on the look out for that.
Other Items I use as well:
Cloth Diaper Pail liner
(both from www.kidalog.net)
Wet Bag (this is used to put wet diapers in while traveling – also great for non-cloth diapering moms… who need a bag to keep incase of a kid having an accident or something)
On my “wish list”:
OK! So lots of information…
For me having enough diapers to make it past 2 days is best. Some moms wash their cloth diapers ONCE a day… I didnt like doing that… it was to much laundry for me :)
With the current stash I have I can go 2 days.. at least that was the case with Taite :)
For me I typically only needed to do 1 wash… if the diapers were REALLY bad I would just do a 2nd wash and it was fine.
How I dry my diapers:
All my BUMGENIUS diapers I hang dry! They will last longer if you do not dry them in a dryer.. Also if you use a dryer they may shrink some. I DO however dry all my inserts, fitteds and prefolds.
Covers I hang as well.
During the summer I would always hang the diapers outside… even inserts.. Just because it helped take out stains. The sun is an amazing stain remover :)
DO NOT USE BLEACH to clean stains from your diapers..
ALSO DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER!! It affects the absorbency.
If you still have issues with SMELL after washing your diapers use some white vinegar in a rinse… that seems to help.
SO DO I SAVE ANYTHING after all this?!
ACTUALLY YES… and I have found a great tool online that helps determine your savings according to what you buy and use.
If you are on a tighter budget using pre-folds w/ covers is the best option.. pre-folds are so cheap you can get enough with a few covers to work great… for very little.. FOR ME however.. im on the go so much that pre-folds were not the diaper of choice. Using Bum Genius Diapers were like using disposables in many ways… just I had to wash them. My husband had no problem changing or cleaning the diapers himself if need be. So I did pay a bit more… but in my eyes I still saved so its all good :)
I figured up in my head how much Ive spent on cloth diapers… Including wet bags, diaper pail, etc… and the cost was around $225.00 for everything…
With my total being $225.00 here is what I will be saving.
I will break even in 13.03 weeks or 3 months.
I will save $285.37 in 6 months.
I will save $665.62 in 10 months.
I will save $855.75 in 1 year.
I will save $1426.12 in 1 1/2 years.
And just think about it… most babies are not trained until 2 1/2 or 3 yrs old.. so you may save even more!
YOU CAN CALCULATE your savings HERE.
My post I think is a bit all over the place.. I was going to do a VLOG showing all my diapers… but I just dont see having the time this week.. so I wanted to just go ahead and get this up while it was on my mind.
I may come back and post photos of my own diapers later :)
Feel free to ask me any questions!
I dont think cloth diapering is for everyone… For me it was strictly a MONEY issue. I mean im all for “saving the environment” :) and being eco friendly… but that was not my motivation to use cloth..
I knew if it saved me money it was worth it.
Since we had planned to have more kids after Taite, it just made sense!
Thats the beauty of cloth… I can re-use these with the next baby… and the next… and the more I can use them the more ill save.
Even if I have to buy new ones at some point, ill still end up saving a lot of money and for me that is just a wise investment to make.