Stacey e-mailed me this recipe… and I must say, im in love.
I think it has officially spoiled me to the yummy luxury of home made bread.
I will now have to buy bread flour in BULK :)
I btw am a horrible bread baker. I tend to mess any bread recipe I try up.
This recipe however was so easy and It came out so nice.
So if I can do this, anyone can.
Amish White Bread
1/4 ounce dry yeast
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 cups water
2 1/2 Tbsp shortening (I used butter)
6-7 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour (I used bread flour)
1/8-1/4 cup butter (I didnt even use this – this I think is for the final task of rubbing the top with butter – so its optional)
1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water
2. In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, 2 cups water and shortening.
3. Stir in yeast mixture
4. Gradually add flour to form a soft dough (I used my KITCHEN AID mixer to do this. Stacey told me to do it this way. I poured in the flour VERY SLOWLY on speed 1… and then as it got super thick I increased it to speed 2. I let the mixer KNEED the dough for about 8 minutes on speed 2)
5. Knead until smooth
6. Place in greased bowl and cover and let rise for about 2 hours.
7. Punch down and divide into 2 portions and form loaves.
8. Place in greased 9×5 loaf pans and prick tops with fork.
9. Let rise until higher than pans (about 2 hours)
10. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes
11. Cool for 10 minutes.
12. Rub butter all over tops of loaves.
13. Place pans on sides until loosened.
14. Remove bread from pans and cool completely on racks.