Well, I got crafty again this week :)
I decided to make some DIY Place mats for our kitchen table.
Heres what I did….
1/2 yard of two different fabrics. It btw was not enough, so go ahead and get 1 yard each.
- The fabric I got was 1 cotton print and then the other one was an upholstery print, so its heavier duty.
2) Pre-wash and dry the fabric. I do this so I dont have shrinkage when I wash and dry it finished.
3) Cut your fabric into a large rectangle. I don’t know the exact size I used. The reason being is I used a cheap place mat I already had as the blueprints for my pattern. You really can make it any size you want. To make sure I cut the different prints the same, I cut out both fabrics laying flat on each other.
4) Iron the Fabric Pieces so they are nice and flat :)
5) Place the prints facing each other then pin together. (so the outside fabric that you would not want to show would be on the outside – and the print you want to show on the inside.
6) Sew around the fabric leaving about a 4 inch opening on one side. This is what you will use to turn the fabrics right side out.
7) Snip the corners of the fabric off before turning it right side out.
8) Once right side out flatten it out as best you can then sew the opening you left shut, continuing around the rest of the place mat.
and… thats it! :)
I’m not good at giving directions so hopefully that made sense.
I hope to make 2 more. I only have 2 done… I ran out of fabric ;-) – So I plan to go back and get more fabric to finish. I also plan to make Caleb, Taite and Owen their own fun place mat that fits their personality more. Im sure it will involve pirates, sharks, super hero’s and possible trucks. Have fun!
Owen JUST woke up so I am now off to feed him :) – Then enjoy a dinner with Aliesha and her family. :)
Wonder if my husband will let me go fabric shopping tonight too ;-) hmmm….