I debated throwing a party… just because things are so hectic in dec…. but also because money is tight… and I wasn’t sure who to invite, etc..etc… what I kept coming back to though was the fact Caleb had such a huge birthday party this past year. I didn’t want Taite to feel as if we favored Caleb over him… & Since this was his 5th birthday (one that I think is a milestone birthday) – I knew I just needed to do it.
I let Taite plan his party… I let him pick those he wanted to come… I let him pick the food… which btw was not very healthy ;-) – I added in some fruit… but over all we had chips, more chips, candy, cake and ice cream. Oh… and of course Taite had to weasel us into giving him a soda. Since this is something we never do, I don’t mind. Its his special day… and if he wants a soda, by all means, enjoy :) – he was beyond thrilled when he saw everything laid out.
Thank you so much to those who came out.
Taite was so happy.
Below is the cake recipe:
- 2 cups freshly ground white hard wheat
- 2/3 cups cocoa
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups Sucanat
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup. mayonnaise (healthy kind without added sugar or chemicals)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Mix Flour, Cocoa, Baking Soda & Powder together in bowl.
- In an additional large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat sugar, eggs & vanilla for 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. At low speed, beat in mayonnaise.
- Add flour mixture into mixing bowl (with the egg mixture) - slowly... a 1/2 cup at at time or so.... alternating with water, until both water and flour are gone.
- Once mixed (it will be very watery btw) - pour into your pan or pans. I used a smaller baking pan... it was glass, and around 7x10 inches. A 9x13 would work or even cupcakes. This cake recipe does not rise as much as most cakes, so take that into consideration.
- Bake @ 350 F for 30-35 minutes, or until cake toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes and then remove to place on cooling rack.
To those who hate mayo, know this… I HATE MAYO!! hate hate hate it, seriously the sight of it makes me gag… but this cake is amazing. You cannot taste it at all. The mayo has oils in it that make this work… and you would never know it was whole grain. It taste just like the devil food box mixes, only better :)