Whole Grain Buttermilk Waffles

One thing we have committed too this year is to eat all whole grain. Although this started months before the new year – it sort of is our new years resolution ;-) – to stick with it! It wont be hard, since well… we love it!

Best decision ever.

Worth every investment we have made in order to make it happen.

That being said…

I have a new favorite recipe!
IMG_2712
Whole Grain Buttermilk Waffles…

Oh… we loved them.

I follow this blog called Inspired by Charm. This guy runs a bed & breakfast and has some great recipes go up from time to time… worth checking out :) – he put up this week his go to waffle recipe & so I had to try it. After all, if he feeds it to his clients, it must be awesome!

I did however tweak his recipe some, in order to accommodate our whole grains and different source of sugar. So heres what I did…

Ingredients:

1 cup fresh milled hard white wheat
1/4 cup honey granules
(otherwise known as sucanat w/ honey – if you did not have this option,
you could use pure sucanat or regular white sugar)

1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp raw salt
1 tbs melted butter
1 egg
1/4 tsp pure vanilla
(I used my friend Nicholes vanilla)
3/4 cup butter milk

optional ingredients: You can throw in some semi-sweet chocolate morsels, blue berries or other fruit into your mix if you’d like. I made a few of the waffles with chocolate to treat my boys, 4 morsels per waffle did the trick just fine :)

Directions:

Mix all your dry ingredients together.

In separate bowl mix melted butter, egg, vanilla and buttermilk.

Once mixed, pour that mixture into your dry mixture.

Stir well until thick and smooth.

I liked my batter really thick… sometimes letting it sit for a few minutes helps you get better results, so don’t rush pouring the batter.

Also this recipe only makes a handful of waffles. So for us, since we are a family of 5, I doubled it. We only had 1 waffle left. Next time we make this, I will triple it :)

These cook very fast on my waffle maker too. So keep an eye out while you cook yours too.

Enjoy!

(Note: If you don’t have whole grain, you can still use white flour for this recipe)

Comments

comments

10 Responses to Whole Grain Buttermilk Waffles

1. Aliesha says:

Like I said, I made these earlier this week. I used regular sucanat since I don’t have the kind with honey in it. These waffles are awesome and turned out great!!

2. Stacey says:

Thanks for the recipe! I’ll have to try it sometime. Do you think that 1 tsp of butter really makes a difference though? I’ve never seen a waffle recipe with so little!

3. Dreawood says:

@Stacey, no clue, didnt do it with out :) – but butter always makes things better IMO hehe.

4. Kalle says:

these sound awesome. Emmett and I make pancakes or waffles every saturday so I think we’ll test it out this weekend.

5. You haven’t found any issues with digestion since going whole grain?
    I read some articles {one from wellnessmama, which I love} about how whole grains are much harder on kids to digest and for their little bodies to break down and we definitely noticed that in our home. I’d be curious to know if others do as well.

6. Stacey says:

@Dreawood, They were great! We definitely loved them.

7. Stacey says:

@Stefanie Arnold, I have heard that mentioned too. Some people like to soak their flour before they use it, with an acid medium of some kind. You can read more about that if you google the Healthy Home Economist. She has great information. The soaking helps to break down the phytic acid that causes digestion issues.

8. Dreawood says:

@Stefanie Arnold, Hey Stef, yes I have heard this. In fact my friend who got me into this cautioned me a head of time, that it may result in more bathroom breaks :) – and it has! but in a good way! I was going to blog abt this but didnt want to gross anyone out, but since only the crazy people (muhahah, kidding! – the cool ppl really) – read comments… ill say it here. Before whole grain, I could go a week without going to the bathroom… yeah, gross! My stomach would actually enlarge some (enough that I could notice, not others) – and would go down once I went. Isnt that terrible? I tried eating lots of fiber, drinking tons of water, etc.. nothing worked.

But whole grain does.

I go once a day now with no issues. The kids prob use it twice a day. So I think we are considered pretty regular people :) which is a good thing.

We’ve had no bad digestion issues thankfully :)

Also since going whole grain my cycles are getting better, not as painful… thats been a great change too.

9. Aliesha says:

@Stefanie Arnold, When we switched to all whole-grains (whole-wheat bread, brown rice, and whole-wheat pasta), our daughter (15 months old at the time) had a little trouble at first (her stools were much harder). Things regulated in about a week and now she doesn’t have any issues (neither do we)!

10. simplyvonne says:

omg that look so yummy!!!! About being a write, let me know if you need help. I probably can’t do daily but would love to help out every once in awhile!

yvonne