My gun photo caused some harsh feelings

So…. apparently I have gotten some heat with the fact a few days ago I posted some photos of myself shooting a 9mm gun at a range with my husband.

I wasn’t really going to get into this debate… since well, Im not much for debating because I honestly do not have the time to do so… however, the more and more I hear of people thinking “guns” are the problem, the more I want to share my thoughts.

So! Seeing as I am alone… in my home with 4 little boys to protect, I would like to share why  I believe having a gun is a good thing.

Growing up I do not remember my dad having a gun. Besides a simple BB Gun to play with and shoot cans from across our yard, we just never were exposed to much of that. My husband grew up on a farm however, where he had full access to guns since birth. In fact his dad had a rifle case full! Guns for him were the norm. For me, not so much.

When we got married we were living in a small country house 20 minutes from anything… and my husband was working nights as a security officer, while he finished up his masters degree in school. Because of this and the fact I was pregnant with my 1st son Caleb, he purchased me our 1st gun, a 38 special revolver.

The thought of having it during those late nights alone at home in the dark of that house… were comforting… I as a new mother soon after did have fears of having guns in the house with children though.

We were safe about it and kept our guns out of reach from our small children… and even used a safe at times (the kind that opens with a key code). We knew keeping it any place our kids could get to was a no no. My uneasiness I know came from my lack of education and handling of a gun.

Now that my husbands job, guns are becoming even more visible in our home. Because our boys are getting older, we are having to be very up front and honest with them about guns and the safety regarding them.

Our children realize guns can kill a person.

They realize they are not toys.

Their blue nerf guns are. The ones Mommy and Daddy have, are not.

My husband wears his gun at all times. I will soon carry mine in my diaper bag (I am waiting on my concealed permit to come, its processing). We both keep a gun in our closet as well.

We are safe with them… but we also are teaching our boys about them. Obviously Owen who is 2 does not comprehend gun safety. Taite who is 6 does but he is to young to handle a gun. Caleb who is 8 has a lot more understanding and because of this we have actually allowed him to shoot the gun at a range, with proper safety. Disagree or not, we believe if you leave a boy to their own “curiosity…” and never “teach them” – that is when accidents happen.

So! All this being said.

I want to share two very clear examples as to why we keep a gun in our home and on us.

Here is story #1: It is about a 14 year old boy, who was left to baby sit his 3 other brothers, while his parents went out for a couple hours. This is not uncommon! Parents do this all the time once their oldest is responsible enough. I remember staying alone at age 13 often. While he was there though he was put into the situation where someone came to break into their home… he hid his siblings, and got his fathers pistol. The intruder broke through the door, aimed a gun at this boy and the boy then SHOT the intruder almost killing the man. This boy did exactly what I would want my child to do in this situation. Because this family had a gun in the home to use for their protection, that 14 year old boy is alive today as well as his 3 other brothers. Had they not had a gun, we may have 4 dead kids.

Story #2: A Georgia Mom is at home and in the middle of the day while home with her twin girls, someone breaks into their house. She hides w/ the girls in a crawlspace/closet area… and this man rummages through her home. Eventually he makes his way to the closet where they were hiding and the mom is face to face with him. She then shoots him 5 times, which results in him falling to the ground…. she then tells the man if he moves she will shoot him even more. She then flees with her girls and goes to safety.

Two perfect examples of proper gun use and why we should be free to have them in our homes to protect our loved ones.

People often times bring up events like Sandy Hook and talk about the need to ban guns in order to “prevent” things like that from happening.

If you look at history though it shows that taken guns does the exact opposite!

You can even look at areas today that do ban concealed weapons and those areas have a higher crime rate than the states that allow it. Coincidence?

Lets take a look back to the future for a sec:

1. In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves against their ethnic-cleansing government, were arrested and exterminated.

2. In 1929, the former Soviet Union established gun control as a means of controlling the “more difficult” of their citizens. From 1929 to the death of Stalin, 40 million Soviets met an untimely end at the hand of various governmental agencies as they were arrested and exterminated.

3. After the rise of the Nazi’s, Germany established their version of gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, and others, who were unable to defend themselves against the “Brown Shirts”, were arrested and exterminated.

4. After Communist China established gun control in 1935, an estimated 50 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves against their fascist leaders, were arrested and exterminated.

5. Closer to home, Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayans, unable to defend themselves against their ruthless dictatorship, were arrested and exterminated.

6. Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves from their dictatorial government, were arrested and exterminated.

7. Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million of the “educated” people, unable to defend themselves against their fascist government, were arrested and exterminated.

8. In 1994, Rwanda disarmed the Tutsi people and being unable to defend themselves from their totalitarian government, nearly one million were summarily executed.

The total numbers of victims who lost their lives because of gun control is approximately 70 million people in the 20th century.

(source)

You can go on and do more research on this history.

If guns were banned, people would still get them. Exactly like people get drugs that are illegal. It isnt the guns themselves that are the problem.

Had the teachers at the Sandy Hook school had fire arms with them, all those kids would not have died. It is a sad truth that we live in the time that a teacher would have to carry a gun… but if someone can walk into a school or break through a window and have free reign on a bunch of students because no one is allowed to carry a gun themselves… it is CRYSTAL CLEAR what the problem is!

My heart breaks for those sweet children… I felt like I was in a fog for weeks after that event… even though I didnt know a single one of them, my heart broke for those families. I just hate that people are using an event like that and thinking that banning guns will stop it from happening again.

We need to protect our children… and ourselves.

and I am sorry if people are offended by the fact we own guns. I will not apologize for owning one though. I am glad we do.

29 Responses to My gun photo caused some harsh feelings

1. Regina says:

I think its a great thing that u know how to properly use a gun! Not just having it in the house without the proper knowledge. You are home alone with 4 small children, you have to protect yourself and those precious little guys! I grew up on a farm and my granddaddy taught me how to respect and shoot shotguns and rifles…my husband taught me how to handle smaller handguns, I hope I never have to protect my family using one, but if I do I have the know how!

2. chris h says:

I see no problem owning a gun it dosent make someone a killer unlaess a person deliberately pull the trigger to hurt someone. I was raised with guns my dad was in law enforscement and I respect a gun remember it takes a person to pull the trigger a person kills another person don’t blame the guns I have my permit to own the own not to conceal it but I keep it out of reach from my child and we will teach her properly to use the gun when the time comes..

3. Shelley says:

I appreciate you taking the time to write this! I was not at all thrown off by images of you with a gun – it’s not like you are the only one to own one ;)

I myself have never even held a gun. We do have two rifles in the house (for hunting) and I have yet to touch them. We have been talking about me learning how to use the ones we own and I know he would like a handgun in the house as well – which would mean I would need to learn to use that as well. We live in northern WI – there are coyote, bear etc. Knowing how to use the guns would be a benefit – especially once we purchase our first home since we intend to move farther away from “town” and into the back-country.

While I don’t believe I would ever need/want to carry a gun with me I respect that you choose to. We are all allowed to make decisions for ourselves and our families – you are the only one who knows what is best for you and your family!

The short version – you go girl! You shouldn’t need to explain yourself!

4. Bridget says:

I have been reading your blog for a long time and I knew that you were going to take some flack for that post. It’s unfortunate that you have to defend yourself for decisions that you have made in the best interest of your family. Our stories are so similar. My husbands dad was a police officer and he was raised around guns (there were four boys in him family). I was not and was pretty in different about them. He begged for one. Then I was robbed, pistol whipped and held hostage at gunpoint while working at a bank. After that, I HATED guns. I was petrified of them for years and years. I have recently been working to overcome my fears and reevaluating my safety and the safety of my children. My husband works nights as well and I am not confident (at all) that I could physically defend us. The decision on if we should own a gun has been weighing heavily on me. I needed that post that day. I was so thankful for it.

5. Chelli says:

I love your page & all your postings here. I don’t comment much but I love stopping by daily. I just had to let you know that I saw nothing wrong with you posting your pics at the shooting range. In fact I think it’s pretty cool that you are brave enough to handle a gun unlike myself. I really don’t want to get in the gun debate either. I’m on the opposite spectrum in that I don’t much like them & I feel they are better seen in an action movie LOL!! I doubt if I will ever own a gun nor will I have them in my home. With that said, I completely agree & respect your decision to own them. YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO HAVE A GUN IN YOUR HOME. I wish a lot of gun or any other kind of weapons owners were as educated about owning them as you appear to be. That way I think it would be a lot less tragedies involving guns. Education is key to all things. I just don’t so much agree with your Sandy hook statement. I personally don’t believe that if those teachers owned firearms that the tragedy wouldn’t have happened. Maybe if they were to have guns the numbers of death may have been limited but I don’t fully believe that the whole event wouldn’t have happened. Hey & are you really pack’n in your diaper bag?? :-)

6. jenn says:

your comment:If guns were banned, people would still get them. Exactly like people get drugs that are illegal.

Just because people can obtain something doesn’t justify legalizing it. If you use this example we should legalize drugs because people can still obtain drugs despite the illegal status.

Here are some articles food for thought:

7. anglin says:

This is precisely why I will never read your blog again.

8. amy says:

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. i applaud you for being one of the good guys.

9. Dreawood says:

no ones forcing you to Anglin. So you really dont have too. Sorry you are offended by my desire to protect my family. No harsh feelings tho you dont have to read it. I though will still continue to keep my gun.

10. Dreawood says:

Ohhh yes Chelli :) – and I know other moms pack’n in their diaper bag :) – I may actually start wearing it on my hip in a holster. I just dont like belts :) – so the bag is more “comfortable” for me.

I didnt mean I dont think the Sandy Hook thing would not happen btw. SOrry that came across that way. I meant it would not have been “as bad” had one of those teachers been armed. I do think events like that would continue to happen regardless… but the morons committing those crimes wouldnt get nearly as many fatalities if someone was armed and ready to stop them.

11. Dreawood says:

No the point of that comment wasnt to say I think drugs should be legal. Obviously I dont. Theres nothing good about heroin and other drugs like it. There is good however in people being armed to protect their loved ones… because regardless of guns being banned at some point, people will get them. So if anyone should have them, it is the good guys who know how to use them properly.

If you dont want to carry a guy or keep one in your home, that is fine Jenn. But I am home alone with 4 boys 5 out of 7 days a week and I am sorry but I do not to sit around and wait to be a victim. If someone breaks into my home, I am prepared… and to me that is responsible not wrong.

12. Kirstin says:

While I don’t agree with having guns in my house, you and your husband have done a wonderful job of educating yourselves and your children. I am from Canada where handgun are hard to come by and concealed carry permits are next to impossible to obtain, so I have been raised in a family/culture with zero guns (except hunting rifles). I do not know anything about guns, how to shoot them, how to store them or anything else, so it is mostly for that reason that I don’t agree with having them in my house. I think it is great that you know how to shoot and going to the range with your husband sounds like a wonderfully fun date! I wonder if I can convince my husband to do that, it looked like so much fun!

13. Bren says:

I wonder why people get so offended and angry if you don’t believe in exactly what they believe in, exactly the way they believe in it. This IS America, right? Be you, Drea. :)

14. jenny says:

Thanks Anglin, I won’t be back either.

15. As a conceal carry permit holder, I just wanted you to know I fully support your position, understand it, and totally agree with it. Don’t let those who disagree with you get you down. Hopefully, they are *politely* disagreeing with you (I didn’t read the comments yet) but I know this can cause a lot of heated and sometimes very mean reactions from people with differing views. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I support you and am in agreement!

16. david says:

You are more likely to die at due to your own gun then by any other guns!

17. noe says:

I didn’t want to get into this whole debate with you and the gun, and the people (mostly one person) who commented against you showing the photo of you and your gun. However, I feel I need to explain what I think about the whole situation because I don’t think you get it.

We came to your blog because we were interested in a bunch of things: cloth diapering, baby wearing, food, christian thoughts, parenting, whatever.
    You have always been very open about many things while your husband was pastoring, and since you moved to GA you became more secretive because of your husband’s work. Which I think it’s fantastic! I think we assumed you still had some stuff that had to remain secret to us, your readers, and people who might do business with you (in many aspects of your life, not only photos).

For all I care, you can have a bazooka in your house, if you want, but I don’t wanna know about it because in this time when there are so many things going on with guns and death, I don’t want to know that the person I read also has a gun and is in favor of owning guns.
    You knew you were gonna get heat from people for posting the photo with the gun, and may be your intention was to get it because you wanted to let us know you had a gun. May be this was your way to finally telling everyone what you believe on gun control… I don’t know… I’m not in your head to know what you thought, but it was REALLY bad timing and a bad judgement on your part, in my opinion.

I won’t stop reading your blog for a photo, but you should really consider what you’re posting from now on… Now, people know you have a gun and you’re alone 5 out of 7 days in the week. Hmmmmmm TMI.

18. Dreawood says:

@noe, Sorry you think its bad timing Noe. If anything I think its good timing. People need to be informed. Esp during times like this. Good thing with my husbands schedule, those 5 out of 7 days rotate ;-) – so whoever is reading this and wants to break in can take a gamble guessing when to do so! Either way I am fully prepared. TMI or not Im ok with what ive put up.

19. Stacey says:

I’m from Canada, as several of your nay-Sayers are. But I don’t get why people are so bothered by this! As a Canadian, I kind of giggle about you getting a gun for Christmas and going to the shooting range for your anniversary, because to me, those things are so typically southern. You just don’t hear those things way up north, haha! I think it’s fantastic that you are taking proper steps to protect your family. Maybe if I lived in an area where there was higher crime, I would think it was more necessary. So for me, it does freak me out a little bit. But knowing that you are teaching your boys what guns do and how to handle them is great. Make sense?

I think the Canadians are freaking out because its so foreign to us.

20. Dreawood says:

@Stacey, Thanks Stacey :) – I appreciate you a lot. And it def is southern ;-) – Im from a more “metropolitan” area of the south and have a hispanic mom and yankee dad, so this was all very new to me too at 1st. It def makes sense to me tho! Btw when you make your way down here again I am SO TAKING YOU TO THE RANGE! :-D It really is a lot of fun to do on a date. As stupid as that sounds, I had a great time! I just wish bullets didnt cost so much :)- cause it can get expensive.

21. I’m a firm believer in the right to have a gun in my home.
    What really erks me is that you post so many wonderful things all the time and get maybe 2 comments. But then you post a pic of you at a gun range with your hubs and suddenly you’re a hot topic. When that happens to me on my blog, I’m always tempted to delete the “rowdy” people who suddenly figured out how to leave a comment and communicate with me ;-)

Enjoy your sweet fam and keep a gun in your home if you want to.
    The end :)

22. Liz says:

Good heavens!!! My hubby just got his conceal and carry permit. We have a revolver loaded and ready to go if I need it. We sleep with a gun by our bed. The guns are always safely put away, up high, when our kids are awake. I, obviously, agree with you. But, even if I didn’t I would never disrespect you in your bloggy space. I would respectfully remove your blog from my feed. I am sorry for the rudeness… People are allowed their own opinions!

23. Jessi becker says:

I am SHOCKED that people would stop reading your blog because of the gun thing..I have friends who have guns and ones who do not and I would never stop being their friend if I didnt agree with their choice or reading their blogs….Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this issue and thats fine with me! To never read someones blog again because of something you disagree with is just ridiculous( unless there is GOOD reason)…Love your blog and keep posting about what you believe and love :-)

24. Liz says:

@Liz, I hope you know I was supporting you by my comment. Sometimes emotions can “get lost in translation” when typing. Just wanted to clarify… :)

25. Joelle says:

Thank you for not being apologetic about owning a gun. You have good reasons for having one, you are responsible about having one, and you are teaching your boys how to be responsible with guns. You go girl!

26. Summer K says:

Hey girl. Just wanted to say chin up. I’m so proud of you for not backing down and remaining firm in your beliefs. It is interesting to me that people would stop following your blog (and take the time to tell you so) all bc you and your husband went to the shooting range. (That’s how it started anyway). I wonder if you said you voted for Obama if they would so the same…? Or if you said you were a 12 point Calvanist…? You were hardly trying to ‘make a statement’ . Silly that people actually think that. Down south it is VERY common to own and carry a gun. Even I know that, and Im a Yankee! ;). I love your blog and will continue to support you as I have for the 3 years I’ve been following. Hugs to you, Mama!

27. Erika says:

I completely agree with you! Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws and crime is out of control. The cities and states that allow concealed carry or open carry have less crime. People kill people. A gun will not kill someone without a PERSON pulling the trigger. When will people and our law makers realize this?????

28. Jenny says:

I started reading your blog because you are a friend of a friend of mine and I was interested in your photography(i started over at that blog first). I hate that you are getting grief for something you put on YOUR personal blog. I completely agree with you about needing to be properly prepared, especially if you are going to own a gun anyways. My husband is a LEO and knowing what he knows, we will probably always have guns and will always be prepared just in case. Carry on, for after all, it is your blog anyways!

29. Chelli says:

@Dreawood, All I have to say to that is you go girl!! :- )