I never knew Bagel’s were made by boiling the dough. Here is a simple recipe for you all to try and have a go at making your own Bagels at home :)
Organic Whole Grain Bagel’s
- 2 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 2 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 cups freshly milled hard white wheat
- 2 tsp. yeast
- 1/3 cup honey (for boiling later in recipe)
- 1 egg (for topping cooked bagels)
- topping of choice (see instructions below)
- Combine honey, water and salt together in large mixing bowl. Once blended together add in half the flour and yeast. Add in the remaining flour and yeast and knead into a stiff dough ball.
- Let this rise until doubled (keeping it covered with a wash cloth).
- Once risen, divide dough into 12 pieces. Shape it into balls.
- Once shaped into balls fill up a large stock pot with at least a gallon of water and 1/3 cup of honey. Get it hot enough that it begins to boil. Once water is ready you will then take those dough balls you made and punch your thumb through the middle… using your thumb as a guide to shape a hole into the middle of the ball of dough. Keep doing this until hole is at least an inch wide.
- Allow shaped bagel dough to sit for about 5 minutes then place into the prepped boiling water. Allow it to boil for 1 minute. If the bagel sinks, thats ok. It will begin to float. Make sure both sides of the bagel are cooked for at least 1 minute each side.
- The bagel will not looked done btw… it will feel wet to the touch but firmed up slightly. Place your boiled bagels onto a greased baking sheet or pampered chef stone (what I prefer). Bake them at 425F for 35 minutes. Turn them half way through the baking process.
- Once baked brush them with 1 beaten egg and 2 Tbs. water. Sprinkle them with topping of choice. You can use poppy seeds, garlic, sesame seeds or even cinnamon sugar (which is what I chose to use).
- Cut in half, toast, serve warm, lather with butter or cream cheese and enjoy :)