Back when I lived in NE NC. I had a friend who’s children were allergic to Peanuts, eggs and dairy. Their families sensitivities to food really opened my eyes to the struggle that can bring. I really cannot imagine what she goes through looking for specific foods for her children to eat. Although I suppose that is her normal. :)
I like knowing a few alternatives for those reasons tho… and today there are so many to choose from.
I’ve tried a few. Almond milk is what my mom drinks.
Recently however, I was introduced to a new milk by SILK (who also makes almond milk and soy). This milk is Cashewmilk!
Here are some details as to what you get with Cashew Milk.
• 50% more calcium than dairy milk*
• No high-fructose corn syrup
• Silk Cashewmilk is verified by the
• Responsibly produced
• Free of gluten, soy, casein, peanuts, egg and MSG*
• No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
Because I do not drink milk plain, like in a glass… I asked my husband to drink it and tell me if he thought it was similar to cow’s milk for him. He said it was not in the sense it had a nutty aftertaste. He did say however, if he could not drink “cow’s milk” – he could see where this would be a great alternative.
I also let me kids try this. They did not like it plain (again because it was not something they were use to). They did however drink it up without a second thought once I added in some chocolate :) I dont think they could tell any difference at all. It is very rich and creamy.
This also worked so well with my banana bread recipe. Feel free to try the recipe below with the Cashew Milk or milk of choice. You’ll love it!
- 3 C. freshly milled whole grain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/3 C. honey granules or sugar
- 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 C. Cashew milk (or milk of choice) with 3/4 TBS lemon juice (turns it into a sour milk aka buttermilk variation)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 ripe crushed bananas
- 3 eggs
- In medium sized bowl mix together all your dry ingredients (except the sugar).
- In a larger bowl take your soft butter and mix it with your sugar until blended into a paste.
- Then stir in your eggs into sugar mixture.
- Add in your Cashew Milk, vanilla... and mix well.
- Then add in your 3 ripe banana's (smashed).
- Once that is mixed together add in your flour one cup at a time until everything is blended into a thick batter.
- Pour into your loaf pans (I used two small loaf pans, I believe they are half pound loaf pans). This recipe will make 2 of the small loaf pan sizes or one large loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Enjoy! :)
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.