Lately I have been a tad bit obsessed with chili. One of my favorite Chili’s I wont lie, is the wendys chili. I loved its taste! So when I decided to have a go at making my own Chili and supplementing the beef for chicken, I was pleasantly surprised to find a recipe that was not only simple to make but inexpensive and loved by my kids. It reminds me a lot of the Wendys chili only better.
I got the inspiration for this recipe from All Recipes. The title was called “My Chili” – I am so sorry I don’t have the link as I printed this many many months ago and didn’t save the pin. Figures. This recipe feeds our family of 6. So if you had a larger family, simply double.
Below will be a few prep photos)
- 1 pound chicken breast (shredded) - roughly 4 chicken breast
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon real salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 can diced petite tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoe sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans with liquid
- The first step you will have to complete first is to get some chicken cooking so you can shred that and put it into the chili. The easiest way I have found to do this if I don't have chicken already cooked, is to get some uncooked chicken breast (boneless and skinless). Put those into a stock pot with salt, pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for roughly 15 minutes? maybe a little less. Once the chicken is fully cooked and tender, I then take the chicken out of the pot and place it into my kitchen aid mixer. You then use the paddle on your mixer to shred the chicken. THIS IS THE BEST TRICK! It shreds chicken amazingly and will give you shreds like none other.
- Typically while my chicken is cooking though I prep my other ingredients.
- I then throw in all the other ingredients into a large stock pot.
- Simmer until chicken is ready to put into the pot.
- Stir all of that in and that is it!
- I simmer it for about 20 minutes once all the ingredients are together.
- I then top it with some cheddar cheese and saltines.
Steam the chicken in chicken broth :)
Place chicken in mixer with paddle attachment to shred well.
Toss all ingredients into stock pot.
Stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
Top with some cheese and enjoy :)
If you enjoy these post please help our family out and pin this recipe :) Thanks so much.