Those who live in South Carolina or anywhere warm at the moment, are beginning to see the lovely mosquito population coming out with a vengeance. With all the scares of the Zika Virus as well (although its hard to know what to believe, if I’m honest), either way, warding off mosquito bites this summer is an absolute must in my book.
I can’t stand DEET repellents, although effective, I question the safety of lathering ourselves in these on a daily basis.
“Most insect repellents out there are loaded with toxic chemicals, including the pesticide DEET, which is so poisonous that even the Environmental Protection Agency says you should wash it off your skin when you return indoors, avoid breathing it in and not spray it directly on your face. Think about it–if this chemical can kill mosquitoes, it can likely do some harm to other life forms too.” [source]
So making a SIMPLE Essential Oil Bug Spray Repellent is something we use here and have for the last 2 summers. It seems to do the trick. Not only is it safe but it smells great. Although some people who don’t like the smell of citronella or lemon grass, may like adding in a few other oils to make it to their liking. For our family, full on “bug off” oil smell is okay in our books.
So here is what you need.
- 15-20 drops of Bug Off Essential Oil
- (see below for other options)
- 1/4 cup Witch Hazel
- Mix your witch hazel and essential oils in a glass spray bottle (I used an 8oz one but you can use a smaller one if you'd like. We have a lot of kids to spray, so 8 oz was a better fit for our family).
- Before each use, shake well!
- Apply all over your body, skin, clothes, etc... reapply as needed. (If you sweat a lot, you will need to reapply occasionally, depending on how long you are outdoors)
- Other alternatives to Bug Off Essential Oil will be listed below this recipe....
They sell an Oil called Bug Off – it is already blended together for you, a beautiful combination of Essential Oils great for warding off Mosquito’s among other pest… it smells great and for those who don’t have a collection of Essential Oils at their disposal, this is the way to go.
Now! As a summer kick off – Rocky Mountain Oils is sponsoring a giveaway on my blog with this post. So glad they are willing to do these and give a randomly drawn reader a chance to win some great oils.
The giveaway is for the following.
As well as a Citronella, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus and Rosemary!
& so you can make this up yourself, they are including one of their glass 4 oz spray bottles too.
This is valued at over $65.00
To enter this giveaway all you have to do is fill out the widget below. Giveaway starts Wednesday the 8th and ends in one week. Winner will be randomly drawn.