What I am about to show you on this post is kinda embarrassing. I neglected our shower. A LOT the last month… and, with 4 little dudes who for some reason like our shower better, plus Travis and I. It didn’t take long before that shower began to look gross. Thankfully I have the best Tub and Shower Cleaner to handle the job and you wont believe how easy and cheap it is to make. I have been using this same recipe for about 3 years now. It works so good! I figured while my shower looked gross, I’d take advantage of that and snag some before/after photos for you. Don’t worry, if you ever visit with us, our guest bath is almost always clean. ;-)
When I was pregnant with Reed and put on bed rest around 32 weeks. Our shower at our other home, got so disturbingly gross (due to my inability to clean and Travis’ busy mandate schedule). We ended up hiring a house cleaner and she told me she couldn’t get the shower clean that it was so bad (yup that bad). I told her to try my cleaner and handed her a bottle I already had made up. She let it soak (I told her it needed to soak for at least 30 min – 1 hour). After she finished cleaning our home she then asked me for the recipe. She said she has tried many bleach and chemical filled cleaners but none cleaned tile and grout as good as the bottle I gave her. (note: no hate on those who use chemicals or bleach. There is a time and place for them. We do own bleach too.)
She was impressed :)
I hated she had to clean up our gross shower… it was a hard season for me. Unable to do what needed to be done… It is life though… and I will be the first to show my life is not perfected. My shower gets gross during busy months home schooling. We get behind on laundry… and our floor can go a mouth without being mopped… but for the most part, our home is clean enough to enjoy and that’s all that really matters. Travis always tells me, when I complain about messes…. that our home is not “a mess” – its “lived in.” Perfection never last.
SO here is the recipe. I promise, you’ll love it.
- 1 part White Vinegar
- 1 part DAWN blue soap (use dawn, other brands don't work as well, trust me)
- 1 Empty Squirt bottle (Dollar Tree has them)
- I use the large dollar tree squirt bottle. I believe its a 16 ounce bottle. I then fill it with half white vinegar and half dawn soap.
- Mix it together by shaking it with the top on...
- Spray it onto the surface you want cleaned (don't be shy either, spray it well). Allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes - 1 hour.
- Once it sits, get a sponge or brush and scrub away the grossness. I have found for grout using a tooth brush after this application helps. Rinse it with warm water and you're done!