My oldest son Caleb celebrated turning 11 this weekend. If you saw yesterdays post you saw a few highlights from that… I thought Id share a new recipe I tried for his birthday. I made up my 1st ever chocolate frosting recipe. I’ve done “vanilla” frosting before… but never chocolate. Not to long ago I was watching the Food network though and saw Giada’s cooking show. She made up some chocolate frosting and I remember thinking “wow, that is simple!” and so I googled it, found the recipe and gave it a go.
It came out great! Although mine was a bit “pale” looking in the chocolate color… but it tasted just fine. I think for more chocolate color, you’d just need to add in more chocolate. Enjoy! it was a hit.
- 1/2 cup butter, (room temperature)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Use a mixer or hand mixer and beat the butter until light and smooth. Proceed to add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Then place your chocolate chips in a small bowl or sauce pan and place over another pot, with slightly boiling water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the melted chocolate to the vanilla frosting and stir until smooth.